When awarding child custody in New Mexico the gender of the parent is not a determining factor. The courts hold that there shall be a presumption that joint custody is in the best interests of a child, but this does not imply an equal division of the child's time between the parents or an equal division of financial responsibility for the child.
When determining contested custody cases, the court determines custody in accordance with the best interests of the child, considering all relevant factors including, but not limited to:
- The wishes of the child's parent or parents as to his custody.
- The wishes of the child as to his custodian.
- The interaction and interrelationship of the child with his parents, his siblings and any other person who may significantly affect the child's best interest.
- The child's adjustment to his home, school and community; and (5) the mental and physical health of all individuals involved.
- If the minor is fourteen years of age or older, the court shall consider the desires of the minor as to with whom he wishes to live before awarding custody of such minor.
[Based on New Mexico Annotated Statutes 40-4-9, 40-4-9.1]
|How Can I Get New Mexico Child Custody Help?|
- Download The How to Win Child Custody E-Book. Get exclusive child custody information and strategies to enhance your child custody case -- to download now click here.
- Schedule a Coaching Appointment. See below for details on how to schedule a one-on-one coaching session to discuss your situation with me -- Steven Carlson, Child Custody Coach®.
- Consult a New Mexico Child Custody Lawyer. If you need legal advice you'll want to consult a New Mexico child custody lawyer to learn where you stand legally and what your legal options are.
- Child Custody Coach® Newsletter. Sign up and receive our unique online newsletter designed to provide useful tips and practical information -- to sign up now click here.
|Phone Coaching with Child Custody Coach®|
The phone coaching sessions are designed so you can have a fast, efficient, and economical way of scheduling a coaching session to discuss your child custody, child custody evaluation, and/or divorce related matter via telephone in the comfort and privacy of your own home. Phone coaching is flexible and allows you the opportunity to request an appointment before work, after work, or on a weekend or at any time that is convenient for you. The phone coaching session can often be scheduled and take place the same day payment is made and forms are received for those seeking immediate coaching. For full details about fees and how to get started click here.
|In-Person Coaching with Child Custody Coach®|
The in-person coaching sessions are designed for parents who prefer face-to-face meetings and are held in Orange County California. Southern California residents in Orange County, Los Angeles, Ventura, Long Beach, Riverside, San Bernardino, and San Diego will often request to discuss their matters with me in-person. In-person coaching sessions are held in the Mission Viejo area or Costa Mesa area in South Orange County California and are an option made available to persons who can travel to one of these two locations. For full details about fees and how to get started click here.
|Monthly Coaching with Child Custody Coach®|
Monthly coaching is designed to provide ongoing coaching and support throughout the month and provides for an economical way of receiving such support on matters such as divorce, child custody, move-aways, post-judgment modifications, child custody evaluations, etc. Fees are known up front so there are no surprises. This also allows you to choose the plan that is right for you and also works within your budget. Weekly coaching sessions and email communications allow you to discuss your child custody matters, developments, and results regularly throughout the month. For full details on fees and how to get started click here.